Your dream destination, your time plan, the sightseeing tour you wanted – when travelling alone, you really are as free as a bird! Solo trips are more popular than ever, that’s why we’ve put together some top tips and perfect destinations for anyone thinking of taking off for new adventures without a travel partner.
Have you always wanted to visit Tokyo, but never found anyone who wants to go with you and explore? Do you dream of a weekend in Venice, but no one seems to have time? More and more people who love to travel refuse to be discouraged by that – they just book that ticket and venture out on their own! Solo trips can be an amazing adventure and you are in charge of what you want to experience – and make new friends along the way!
Tip for successful Solo Trips
If you want that solo trip to work out, we’ve gathered some helpful and useful tips:
- Preparation is everything! Research the destination, visa requirements, local culture and appropriate clothing before you leave and avoid any unnecessary blunders or disappointments.
- Your first solo trip doesn’t have to take you halfway around the world. Neighbouring countries also have great opportunities to get used to solo travelling.
- If you’ve had enough of exploring your dream destination on your own, sign up for a sightseeing tour or a day-trip . You’ll be part of a group and make new friends in no time!
- Your mobile phone is your best friend when travelling solo. It’s your guide, boarding pass, camera, your way to connect with those at home and much more! Take extra good care of it!
- Take lots of photos! Your solo adventure should be well-documented to share it afterwards with your friends at home. You can also use those photos to keep your dearest updated while you are out there exploring. The best place to back up your photos is in the cloud, or on external storage devices.
- No compromises! If you’re travelling alone, you can do exactly what you want and when you want to do it. That’s sort of the point. If you think a destination or something on your itinerary just isn’t doing it for you, simply move on. You don’t have to take anyone else’s feelings into account!
- Travelling light doesn’t just save you a lot of stress and sweat; you’ll also benefit from cheap hand-luggage-only fares. It’s up to you, of course, whether you go for a rucksack or a chic trolley.
- The first step in a successful solo trip starts out simple: your desire to hit the road on your own . Even if you’re not quite sure which the destination it’s going to be, ask for Austrian Airlines FlyMeTo vouchers for your birthday or special occasion coming up. Then, when you are struck by that moment of inspiration, you’ll be ready to book your ticket right away!
Top Destinations for Solo Travellers
There are lots of great destinations out there which are perfectly suited to an incredible solo trip. They all have a fantastic public transport network, are safe and offer attractive accommodations .
- The endless green landscapes in Wales are guaranteed to make your heart miss a beat. Lovers of the great outdoors will feel right at home on the well-signposted hiking paths in Snowdonia National Park and on Mount Snowdon . The countless small towns, such as Conwy, Caernarvon and Betws-y-Coed , make a trip to the Northern part of Wales worth every penny. The best way to explore this beautiful region is to get a flight to Manchester, hire a car or use the buses and trains available.
is a great starting point if you want to discover Spain. Here, too, you’re best off hiring a car – because areas such as
, which is found in the North and completely unknown, are particularly lovely. In
, you can visit
Dali’s wonderfully weird museum
to follow in the strange footsteps of the great artist.
- If you want to go a bit further, there are great destinations across Asia which are certain to inspire solo travellers. Countries such as Japan and Thailand are wonderful for long-distance trips. They are full of experiences and great cuisine – you’ll find hard, if not impossible, to resist.
- If you’re looking for beautiful and unspoilt landscapes and nature, put Eastern Canada on your list. Plan two weeks for a round trip including the famous Niagara Falls, historic Quebec City as well as impressive national parks.
Ready to hit the road alone and discover the world on a solo trip? Look up the best flights here: